Pages

Thursday, April 29, 2010

An Introduction

Normally I don't share the fact that I study martial arts. In a previous post I discussed how some people demand a demonstration hoping to prove you wrong or your martial art ineffective.

Over two years ago, I was out at a social event. I was chatting with a guy that I had met a few times and liked. Somehow it came out that I take Jiu Jitsu. Now, the other thing people do if they're not trying to prove you wrong is say that they want to take martial arts. Normally this desire is gone by the next day or when the booze wears off. I told him he was more than welcome to come for a class. I told him the where and when and left it with him.

I called him the night of the next class. He said he couldn't go for some reason. I told him that was no problem and to call me if he was interested in trying a class. I assumed that was the end of it.

To my surprise, he called me the next week saying he'd like to go. He went and tried his first class. On the ride home, he said he really liked it. We had worked him over pretty good, showing him the effectiveness of Jiu Jitsu. In truth, I wasn't sure he'd come again. Well, he called again and came to another class, and then another. In fact, he didn't miss a class for almost 2 years.

His name is J.C. and he has been faithfully training along side me on my journey ever since.

J.C. is somewhat spiritual in his approach to training. He often sees things in a slightly different perspective than I do. I like the contrast in approach and he has helped me improve and keep an open mind.

J.C. has started his own blog chronicling his thoughts on training and Jiu Jitsu. Check it out at

http://www.bujutsu-path.blogspot.com or click the link on the side of my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment