Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Headlock - What's old is new again


In addition to exploring counters the other night, we explored the headlock. The good old, fun in the school yard, noogie inducing headlock. We've all done it or had it done to us. We often practice various escapes from it. The other night we examined how to put one on effectively.

I know realize that the childhood staple that I knew so well can be a very dangerous technique if put on correctly. It can damage the neck, cause intense pain and disorientation if done properly. It can also cause unconsciousness.

In my last post, I mentioned that you can discover magic in routine practice. Perhaps I should have said repeated practice.

I discovered a method of turning a rather innocuous headlock into an advanced technique. I had no idea it could be so effective and painful. I often know when I'm missing something in a technique. I'm either working way too hard, I am off balance or I feel open to attack. What rarely ever happens is what happened the other night. I thought I knew how to put a headlock on someone, been doing it since I was a kid. I knew it would be unpleasant for them but realistically I would never make it a go to move. Now I'm not so sure. With the addition of a twist, some facial pressure points and the placement of my hands and wrist bone, this has become a technique that meets my threshold for a usable effective technique. Plus it can be done with gross motor skills when the adrenaline is pumping.

All this from the simple headlock. Not just for kids anymore...

No comments:

Post a Comment